So here we are. 3 full days into my new low carb lifestyle. So far Im doing well with it. I am following what my doctor determined to be my carb limit per day. I have had a few issues but nothing that was unexpected. Like any new eating plan your body has to change with you . This will take a bit. I mean lets be real here. I was eating a CRAP TON of carbs everyday…and now I am not. Yeah my body isnt sure what to do LOL. I equate it to my quitting smoking. You have to get used to life with out it. My body had so much in it from smoking. And then I took it away. Hello headaches and cravings. But with everyday things got easier and this will be no different I am sure
One question readers had was about couponing. Lets be honest. There are not a lot of coupons for produce or meat – things on a low carb meal plan. So how am I saving?
Lets look at what I got today at Schnucks:
Today at Schnucks I got:
- 2 and a little pounds of apples ( yep organic Don ) $5.13 Yes I can do better on this price BUT….I have had Granny Smith apples from several stores. I just threw out some from a different store. Even my daughter noticed they were “yucky” I never ever go wrong with Schnucks apples. I will pay for them to be awesome, fresh and organic
- Mushrooms $1.501
- Lemon $0.69
- Blue Cheese $2.82 ( it is Treasure Cave and we do occasionally get a coupon for this. Also I am thinking I could do better on the price…but I was here so no biggie. )
- Cottage Cheese $2.99 ( I have tried other brands and this is one I liked but it also had the least carbs)
- Shrimp $3.87 ( these go on sale for $1 per skewer often)
- Markdown Cod $3.31
- Nostimo Greek Plain Yogurt $0.89
- Chobani Plain Greek 4/$5 so $1.25
On the yogurt. Plain variety cuts carbs by at least 4. I have not had the plain. I wanted to try a couple brands to see what I like. By far these have the least carbs of any I have found anywhere ( not all stores carry plain). If I like Chobani we do get coupons for that. So I will probably like the other better
- Simply Seafood Tilapia and also a salmon $1.49 each so $2.98 In future purchases I will purchase these fresh. I have not had Tipalia or salmon so these were a nice size to try
- Spinach $2.59 I have had other brands and I continuously come back to Dole. Dole seems to be the freshest. Other brands have gotten gross, never tasted fresh etc. Again on sale or not I will stick with Dole brand here
Total today: $28.02
Wait what??? Ok lets look at this. Organic apples, non sale spinach, non sale blue cheese etc.
So where am I saving?
First…my usual routine would be my good friends at Starbucks or Megs. I have not had Starbucks/Megs this week. $5 is give or take per day = I just paid for these groceries
Second… I have had apples, spinach and cottage cheese this week from another store. The cottage cheese was a brand I had never had before. Ok I can write that off. But the apples and spinach were HORRIBLE. I threw them out. Money in the garbage. When my 7 year old comes home from school and says, “Mom, I didn’t eat my apples at lunch because they tasted old” that is saying something. I headed back to Schnucks today because I know what I am getting with their apples, cottage cheese and spinach. I prefer to pay for food I will actually eat. Now maybe the other items I threw out were just a bad batch. Maybe. I dont really know. But none the less they went into the garbage.
So here is the thing for me…
As I am working through this journey I am thinking about where my money would go before and where it is going now. Yep I spent $28 today. I am completely ok with that. I have healthy low carb food which is what I need. Low carb eating and shopping is a completely different way to eat. As I get used to what I am doing I will get used to shopping and watching sales will be different because I will know what to look for As I transition away from high carb food and yes even many coupons my fridge and pantry will look different. I will look at sale ad differently. And yes I will actually shop more – since produce only lasts so long.
But the thing is this…Take gas for your car. You have top have gas if you are going to drive. You are at the mercy of the gas station. Yes you can use fuel rewards to save a little – and those are tied to shopping – but if gas is $3 per gallon then it is $3. And you fill up your car and cut the budget somewhere else.
Nope we do not get coupons very often for produce and meat. We do sometimes get offers on Checkout 51 here for produce. You can redeem those offers from any store. Other than that I will adjust my budget as needed once I get the hang of this type of shopping.
Because the bottom line is, there is no use in saving if I am not here to save My health and the role model I am for my kids has no price. Period.